IMPORTANT: While optical heart rate monitor technology typically provides the best estimate of a user's heart rate, there are inherent limitations with the technology that may cause some of the heart rate readings to be inaccurate under certain circumstances, including the user's physical characteristics, fit of the device, and type and intensity of activity. If you want to track heart rate during higher intensity activities and/or those that include a lot of high speed movement (of the arm), our recommendation is to wear the M3 chest strap for better accuracy. The M3 chest strap can be connected to the M5 armband if you wish to have your live heart rate visible during training without being connected the Morpheus app on your phone. You can also choose to wear any ANT+ compatible chest strap that you may already have.
Prior to beginning any workout, make sure you have completed a recovery test first. This is necessary to set the correct heart rate zones for the day within the M5.
Note: If you have not recorded a recovery test prior to the workout, the M5 will display the heart rate zones set from the previous time it was connected to the Morpheus app. This means the heart rate zones will NOT be personalized based on your recovery for that day.
To start the workout, put the M5 on and navigate to TRAIN and use the select button to choose this mode.
- The first thing you need to do is decide if you are using the M5 directly for heart rate training or if you are connecting an ANT+ chest strap to the M5 instead.
- NOTE: If you will be connecting to an external ANT+ chest strap, you can choose to wear the M5 wherever you feel is the most comfortable. If will be using the M5 by itself, it's recommended to wear it on the inner forearm for greatest accuracy.
- The selected option will be highlighted in white. If using the M5 for heart rate, ensure the M5 is highlighted and then press the side button to confirm
- To connect an ANT+ chest strap to the M5 tap the screen to highlight ANT+ DEVICE on the screen. Press the side button to confirm. You will then see the FIND DEVICE screen as it searches for nearby compatible ANT+ devices. Please ensure that your device is powered on and/or you are wearing it at this time.
- When the M5 finds a compatible device, it will return an ID# highlighted in white on the screen. Press the side button to confirm.
- After you have confirmed your heart rate monitoring device, now it’s time to train. You will see one of the Workout Type screens shown below.
- Use the touchscreen to toggle to Cardio, Mixed, or Strength.
- Press the side button to confirm your choice.
- If your workout will primarily consist of cardiovascular (cardio) type exercises, choose CARDIO. If your workout will only include strength training, select STRENGTH. For any workout that will include both types of training, select MIXED.
- Note: Personalized heart rate zones (colors) will only be displayed for CARDIO and MIXED workouts. Heart rate training is not necessary or beneficial when the workout does not include any cardio type exercises.
- After you confirm your Workout Type by pressing the side button, the M5 will search for a heart rate signal, either from itself or a device you previously paired in #4 above.
- When you are in one of the 3 heart rate zones you will see the live heart rate number change colors to reflect the zone you are in. In the upper left corner you will see the total time you have been in that zone. In the upper right corner you will see your connection type (ANT or BLE) and the signal strength. You will also see the battery life indicator icon for your M5.
- The M5 will display the type of device connection it showing on the screen (ANT+, Bluetooth, or no connection)
- The M5 can send ANT+ or Bluetooth (BLE) to any compatible app (such as Morpheus or other heart rate training app) or device (such as certain cardio machines)
- The M5 can receive ANT+ heart rate signal from devices that can send it (such as the M3 chest strap)
- The M5 can send ANT+ heart rate signal to any compatible device, such as some cardio gym equipment.
- You will know which connection type is being used on the M5 screen.
For more information about ANT+ and BLE compatible straps, please see the information at this link:
- To end a workout, press the side button. You will see the screen shown below. If ready to end the workout, press the side button when END WORKOUT is highlighted white. If wanting to return to the workout, touch RETURN on the screen and then press the side button to confirm.
- If M5 is connected to the Morpheus app for live training, you can stop the workout via the Morpheus app and then stop the workout on the M5. Only the data that is in the app be saved.
- If M5 is NOT connected to the Morpheus app for live training, you will end the workout on the M5 and sync the data to the app later.
- Please see this article, Sync a Saved Workout to Morpheus App, for details on how to sync saved workouts from the M5 to the app for times when you are training with the M5 not connected to the app.
- After confirming you want to end the workout, you will see the total training time. You can use the touchscreen to toggle through the zones to see the amount of time spent in each of the 3 zones.
- The M5 screen will eventually turn off and return to the digital clock interface (in the background)